The Only If List… Stone Age

A couple of weeks ago I awarded Battlestar Galactica the “If Only” Game of the Year award, what’s worse, I suspect BSG might win the award again next year! However, I thought it might be fun to look at the rest of the “If Only” list.

Over the coming weeks I’ll be rambling about all the games on this list, don’t ask what’s on the list… it’s an ever-expanding project!

Let’s start with a game that I’ve been scouting ebay for everyday since Christmas, however, clearly, the game is sooooo good, nobody is giving away their unwanted version they got for Christmas… And that game is…

Stone Age

So why Stone Age? I am constantly on the look out for new games that I can play with my family. They adore Settlers but I want to expand their horizons and I settled on Stone Age to do that for many reasons.

  1. I am looking to replace or at least supplement Settlers so I am not looking for a game based on or “similar” to it. Stone Age is a worker placement game, which, although similar in some ways i.e. gathering resources and building things, is different enough to employ entirely new strategies and game play mechanics.
  2. The two people I play with are my parents, both of whom are getting on and dislike complicated rules, which is why Settlers suits them so much. And it is also the reason that I chose Stone Age over games such as Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. The game is simple and the board is very well laid out as a functional player aid as well as a playing surface.
  3. The theme of building a civilisation has already proven popular with the family with games like Settlers and Citadels. Plus it features a Love Hut and what’s not to like about that?
  4. The final and possibly least important reason is just how pretty the game is. I know I shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, or a board game solely on its components… but… It is pretty.

So there you have it. Stone Age seems like a great fun, resource gathering, Worker Placement game, with multiple paths to victory (no more “You put the Robber on my land” arguments.) and it looks great on the table too…

Come back next week for a new game review…

Comments