A Year in Gaming 2013

As is tradition, it’s time to look at what games I played this year and what games from last year have fallen in favour…

2013 - 2014

  1. Click Clack Lumberjack 54
  2. The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game 52
  3. Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin 14
  4. Rune Age 10
  5. The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac 9
  6. Elder Sign 9
  7. Stak Bots 9
  8. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game 8
  9. Pandemic 7
  10. Race for the Galaxy 7

Total 294

2012 – 2013

  1. The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game 32
  2. King of Tokyo 23
  3. Race for the Galaxy 23
  4. Elder Sign 21
  5. Rune Age 20
  6. Quarriors! 14
  7. Hive 10
  8. Thunderstone: Dragonspire 10
  9. Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin 9
  10. Archaeology: The Card Game 7

Total 318

So first up it’s quite obvious that I’ve not been playing any games anywhere near as much. For the first four months of this year I barely played anything because I had moved away from my regular group and hadn't had the courage to find a new group.

After moving back my plays picked up dramatically. The obvious new comer to the list is Toc Toc Woodman, jumping right in at number one. This is because I recorded each individual game as opposed to session, but it has still hit the table a lot this year.

Still a juggernaut of my gaming list is LOTR The Card Game. This beast has featured heavily in the list for the last three years and it continues to do so because I play it solo and also because I lose at it, a lot!

Other favourites such as Elder Sign, Rune Age and Thunderstone all continue to feature in the list as does Race for the Galaxy. Legendary also makes it into the top ten despite only appearing in my collection in November, this will be a strong contender for Thunderstone’s position in next years list!

My two player gaming has taken a hit this year due to my regular two-player partner meeting a new girl meaning games like Race for the Galaxy, Netrunner, Star Wars the Card Game and Warhammer Invasion have all placed lower than I might have expected.

In the coming year I expect to see :

  • a rise in the total amount of gaming. 
  • X-Wing to start to make it’s way up the list.
  • co-op games like Elder Sign to remain popular
  • my solo efforts in LOTR to continue.
  • Thunderstone and Legendary will receive around an equal number of plays.

Predictions from last year:

  • Thunderstone will drop out of the top ten – Wrong
  • LOTR LCG will remain in the top ten but drop from first - Right
  • Rune Age and King of Tokyo will remain in the top ten – 50/50
  • X-Wing and Descent 2nd Edition will both enter the top ten – Wrong
  • There will be one game in the top ten that is not even on my radar yet – Right

That's about it. Next week we will have a review of Thunderstone Roots of Corruption for you. You can also look out for a new feature in the coming year, The 100 Club, reviewing a game after 100 plays. We will also have the last 6 games of Christmas mini reviews.

Until tomorrow then, happy New Year and have fun gaming!

Chris

Comments