Corruption has Begun…

I was very excited on Thursday when I got home from a stupid day at work to find a package waiting for me from Games Lore. However, after I ripped open the C5 envelope and pocketed the tiny package inside and dashed up to my room to open it and figured out the rather difficult locking mechanism on the pack and tore the plastic wrapping off the cards… I was a little disappointed…

Why I hear you cry…

Well…

I think I got too excited…

The only other CCG I’ve played is Star Wars TCG and I used to buy boxes of 36 packs of 11 cards for around £15-25, that’s 396 cards… Here I was, £8.36 later, holding just forty cards.

1 Dwarf unit, 1 Orc unit, 1 Empire unit and 1 Chaos unit and a tactic or attachment for each as well. Admittedly in real Warhammer adding a new unit can be a big deal, but it just felt like nothing when in card form.

The set contained no less than 3 different Dark Elf cards (7 in total), that’s not even a playable faction (and probably wont be for six months!) Same goes for the High Elves.

So that leaves six neutral units, 3 of which were the promised Skaven units, one Witch Hunter Hero and 2 support cards.

All in all, it felt flat and yes, I know I could have read the spoiler thread but that wouldn’t have stopped me buying the pack the day it was released in the UK and my feelings about this pack wont stop me ordered the next expansion either… The truth is I built this pack up in my mind to be the “core set mk II” when really I should have been looking at the pack as part of the six month cycle. Also, finally holding proof in my hands that “the other armies” will never be anything more than neutrals was disheartening, despite knowing about it, only seeing is believing…

I haven’t yet had chance to play with any of these shiny new units (in fact I haven’t even had chance to play Empire or Chaos from the core set yet) so maybe once I see what they add to the game I will feel better. I did think the cards felt a touch flimsy compared to the core set, but when I broke out the core set to check they felt almost identical… clearly I’ve been spoiled with my super deluxe, super thick Runebound cards of late…

Any way, that was enough of a moan… Some people drink, some people smoke, I, however, am addicted to German and American cardboard, British lead and laser discs from across the pond!

Comments